February 25, 2020
$1950 (payment plans available)
Note: early application is HIGHLY recommended, as coaching spots fill up quickly! We value artists who take immediate action and avoid procrastination.
Coaching Program Objectives
[customizable by each artist]
• Complete a cohesive body of work or single song with the support of a mentor.
• Expand your production abilities in Ableton Live, and learn to create a song from the early writing stages through mixing and mastering a release-ready track.
• Discover your personal strengths and bring out your unique sound as a songwriter and/or producer.
• Learn how to find your audience, build a following, and explore different ways of releasing music in the digital age.
• Identify and address any fears or self-doubts that may be blocking your creative output or fullest expression.
• Complete challenges and exercises that push you outside of your comfort zone and stretch your ideas.
• Develop good workflow practices that align with your personality type.
• Refine your personal marketing and pitching strategies to get your music heard by record labels, music blogs, and other media outlets.
• Develop visual content (artwork, music videos, press photos) to accompany the release.
• Create a business plan and brand profile.
• Design an inspiring lifestyle with healthy work habits that will support your career long-term.
“Working with Kate has been the single best investment into my career.” —Aaron R.
“Kate has a unique talent as a teacher -- not only is she massively skilled in Ableton, but she's not afraid to break down the concepts for you into super simple and clear language. I was impressed by how clear the teaching was, and how fun she made it. Her approach is unique in that she brings an inclusive, human element to music production -- you will feel like you are sitting with a friend while you get top-level information.” —Composer, San Francisco
“Kate is a dream to learn from; she’s walking this same pioneering path of artist and producer, and this course provides insight into her unique personal process of music making. The sonic challenges and reflection exercises Kate assigns make me dive deep into the wells of my being to find the purpose underlying every choice I make, sonically or otherwise. Creating music from this place of self-reflection and inquiry has yielded the best, most exploratory and intentional music beyond anything I could have imagined. I’m so proud of myself and the work I’ve created.” —Kelley K.
"Kate is a master of her craft and is truly passionate about helping people express themselves through music. Her step-by-step processes are comprehensive and easy to understand while providing insightful positive feedback. Learning from Kate has been a fun and challenging experience and I highly recommend any of her programs to anyone looking to tap into their creative self." —Alan M.
“Kate strengthened my endless love for music by showing me how to use my creativity without any boundaries, judgement, or fear. I found that I was surprising myself week after week with the tracks I was creating and checking off goals in such a short amount of time.” —Kaila V.
“I'm super happy with all the instruction I got from Kate — I feel like I got it at just the right time in my life. Realistically, I went from not thinking my music will ever be played outside my room to getting shows lined up for next year and a plan to do this full time. I think thats a really huge impact she’s made on my life.” —Gerald F.
Whether you are a new musician looking to develop their practice, an established artist who is eager to take their work to a new level, or an entrepreneur seeking new ways to grow their music business, there is nothing more powerful than having a mentor to help you along your journey.
Kate Ellwanger’s extensive background in music and personal development strategies have led her to work with Grammy Award-winning artists and creative professionals in honing their crafts, cultivating self-awareness, and mastering the level of discipline required for peak performance and expression.
• Twelve 60-minute video calls on zoom (including session screen sharing), and twelve check-in calls.
• Writing exercises, meditations, and homework assignments to be completed each week of the program.
• Online support and feedback from Kate via email or text.
• Unlimited access to all tutorials in Daily Loop.
• List of additional reading and online resources to accompany the program.
• Flexible scheduling, with the option to space the program out between 3-6 months of time.
While her areas of expertise include music production in Ableton Live, music theory, composition/arrangement, songwriting, and vocal coaching, the scope of Ellwanger’s teaching extends far beyond the technical aspects of music creation or performance. The heart of her work is helping artists and entrepreneurs in the arts industries find clarity in their visions, understand their strengths and weaknesses, overcome their fears or insecurities, and produce work that fully expresses the artist's message and emotions.
About the instructor:
Kate Ellwanger (aka Dot) is a producer, vocalist, and multi-instrumentalist based in Los Angeles. She is a member of beat-collective Team Supreme, CEO of Unspeakable Records, and has taught music production and composition at critically-acclaimed institutions including The Los Angeles Recording School, Dubspot, Point Blank, and Garnish.
In addition to her solo work, Dot produces for artists including SZA (TDE) and Teri GenderBender (Le Butcherettes, Bosnian Rainbows), and writes original music for film and television (MTV and OWN). Dot's extensive knowledge of music production and creative strategies also led to her participation as a panelist at Loop Berlin: Ableton’s summit for music makers.
Ellwanger holds a B.A. in Music from Hall-Musco Conservatory of Music at Chapman University, and holds a Master’s Degree in Music Production, Technology, and Innovation from Berklee College of Music. In addition to her background in classical and contemporary music, she has over 15 years of study in mindfulness practices from multiple traditions, including yoga, meditation, and psychospiritual development.
This is your year to develop the focus, stamina, and ability to follow through on your creative work while learning how to bring your musical ideas to life in Ableton Live.
Shape the future of music by taking your first steps towards becoming a creative warrior in 2020.